Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Grip work , Contrast bath experiment

Tonight I just did a bunch of curls with the pinch lever block and 10 lbs. Then some sledge levering from every angle with an 8lb hammer.

Earlier, someone suggested that contrast baths might help my shoulder. The idea is basically you jump from a cold shower into a hot tub if you've got one, alternating between cold and hot for a few minutes. It's supposed to reduce inflammation. There are plenty of theories out there about why it works, and why it's a stupid idea. I think it's worth a try, as I'll do anything to speed up the healing.

I did this in the shower every 30 seconds, going from freezing to as hot as I could take. It wasn't fun, but wasn't as bad as I'd feared. It woke me up, that's for sure.

And I had my right arm in a sling for most of the day--lots of ice, rest, and trigger point work.

2 comments:

  1. That cold/hot shower sounds horrible. I've heard of alternating a cold and hot pack, but not a full shower or bath. Do you feel like it helped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's another similar thing they do in icelanding countries. They take a sauna at at least 180 degree and then jump into a cold shower. Rinse and repeat. The hot brings blood to the surface of the skin and opens capilaries and the cold shocks the system and brings fresh blood within to muscle tissue and organs. Supposed to work well. Good luck with the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete